DeVine Choices Wedding & Event Planning

DeVine Choices Wedding & Event Planning
"Remember...It's a DeVine Choice!"

Welcome To DeVine Choices Wedding & Event Planning's blog

Thanks for stopping by our blog. This is where we will share events, ideas and suggestions with brides and grooms and the wedding community. Please feel free to comment, suggest and even disagree with some of our posts. for more information on DeVine Choices Wedding and Event Planning, Please feel free to stop by our website at www.devinechoices.com

Thursday, September 17, 2009

HELLO WORLD!!!!!!!! I HAVE ARRIVED!!!!!!!!


Greetings Wedding Planner World!!

Let me start by introducing myself. LaKeisha Cotton was the name that was given to me at birth, but in 9 DAYS……that’s right………..9 DAYS (9/26/09), I will be LaKeisha Johnson (it kinda has a ring to it). I have been given this wonderful opportunity to blog about my experience in planning my beautiful, romantic, breathtaking, extravagant, eye popping, FABULOUS WEDDING (yeah…all that). I can truly say that my experience with planning my wedding has been bitter sweet. Everyday, I will blog about certain issues that I encountered during the process and helpful information that I think would have been beneficial to me if I would have been informed in advance. Also, I will be counting down until my BIG WEDDING DAY giving you detailed information on how I am preparing. Get your note pad out and pen because this is going to be GOOD!!!


WEDDING PLANNER OR DO-IT-YOURSELF (DIY)

I have been planning my “LOVE IS…” themed wedding since February 2008 and I can tell you that it has been a long time coming. Initially, I was set on the fact that I didn’t need a wedding planner. I thought that wedding planner’s were expensive and since I was extremely organized I could do it myself. WRONG……The most organized anal person could not deal with all this. When I actually sat down and saw all that needed to be done, I was sold on getting a planner. Also, who would I get to help the day of the wedding, my family? WRONG AGAIN. Family is not reliable and since they are not under any signed contracts, they are not guaranteed to be there. I would be ashamed if I relied on my cousin Tosha (not a real person) to bring the linens and she decides that she’s not going to do it the day of the wedding. Now I am stuck with guests sitting at white round tables with no linens (smh).—not cute

MY SEARCH FOR A PLANNER

Now I did mention that I am organized, which I am, and I am not one to procrastinate and in order for you to be considered as a planner for me, you had to be on top of everything. When I started my search for a planner, my venue, wedding colors, wedding dress, and bridesmaids dresses were already picked out (I don’t procrastinate…remember). I went to The Knot website and I actually sat down with almost every wedding planner in Houston. My problem with some was that they wanted to limit the amount of phone conversations we had (CRAZY). If I have an emergency and need your assistance, I should not have to worry about how many phone calls I have left….. Others wanted to change my vision and wasn’t very accepting of my ideas….are you serious…IT”S MY WEDDING. There were some who I couldn’t see myself getting along with. Then I came across a wonderful woman that owns DeVine Choices and my mother and I was sold. Tannie was very accepting of my ideas; she had wonderful ideas of her own, and we clicked instantly. I can actually say that this is the first time that my mother and I didn’t have to discuss anything; we were convinced that we were hiring her.

POINTS TO REMEMBER:
-Do not be sold on the idea that you can do it yourself. There are too many details and the smallest thing that you can forget, you will.
-Do not let anyone alter your vision….IT’S YOUR WEDDING.
-Wedding Planners are not expensive!
-Interview lots of planners until you find the one that YOU like and that works well with YOU.
-Please DO NOT rely on family and friends to coordinate your wedding. I have seen it and it is not pleasing to the eye!
-REMEMBER……to check the blog everyday for my wonderful wordsJ

THE COUNTDOWN:

DAY 9

I can actually say that we are FINISHED with planning…. Yesterday I was so excited because I don’t have anything else to do in regards to my wedding, but have my seating chart printed. We all know that when everything is going right and you are having a good day, someone always messes it up. I received a phone call from my florist that is doing my personal flower that really didn’t sit right with me. She called and asked me how many roses did we discuss would be in the bridesmaids bouquets? I informed her that we discussed 8-9 roses per bouquet. She then took it upon herself to inform me that she quoted me the wrong price for the bouquets and I would have to pay the difference to have the extra roses added. Blog family, I was angered. I booked this florist August 2008 and she had been paid in full since March 2009. Why would she call me the week before my wedding? She then went on to tell me that the bouquets she charged me for would only consist of THREE (little, small, tiny) ROSES……..Now these are bridesmaid bouquets, not jr. brides. I immediately called, my planner, Tannie, and they were able to solve the problem without me coming up with additional money. This is another good reason to have a planner. Tannie was professional. If myself or my mother would have spoken to the florist…..it would not have been so professional……

Until tomorrow Blog Family. It’s been fun.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Keisha you are too funny and off to a great start! Thank you so much fo accepting this challange.

Terrica of Fabuluxe said...

I love this post! Thank you so much for sharing her with us, Tannie! LaKeisha, we are looking forward to your wedding and everything that unfolds in the process.

Lisa M. McGainey said...

Great Post!

Anonymous said...

LaKeisha you are too funny! I too am very organized and even though I didnt have Tannie by my side as my planner she would be the ONLY planner I would have chosen had I had the opportunity! I agree with you, a planner is a MUST! I am so glad Tannie was able to solve your flower near-catastrophe! Thanks for the post! :) Fabulous job!